Skip to main content

Emily Dickinson Quotes

”Forever is composed of nows.”
~ There is nothing that really last forever so I take this quote to mean that ones perception of forever is simply composed of the present.

“That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet.”
~ This quote could possible refer to something being bitter sweet. The fact that something good has happened and one was able to gain that experience makes life sweet in sense because life is all about experiences.

“If I can stop one heart from breaking, I shall not live in vain.”
~ The feeling of a heartbreak is absolutely awful. I feel that by stopping someone’s heart from breaking Emily felt as if she’d be saving that person which allowed her life to not be in vain.

“If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry.”
~ The purpose of a book is to engage the reader and leave an impact on that reader. Emily being a poet possibly hopes to read a book for the purpose of being moved. Poems also serve this purpose so basically if a book leaves its mark on you it has done its job.

“This is my letter to the world
That never wrote to me”
~ Poetry is Emily’s letter to the world. But maybe she felt as if her work spoke for itself and not for her or how she felt.

“Saying nothing sometimes says the most.”
~ Being silent is the biggest outcry. You wouldn’t notice that someone was feeling upset if they were to laugh it off and act normal, but if they’re being quite it’ll be easier to notice.

“I dwell in possibility...”
~ To dwell means to live in or at a specified place. Therefore I took this quote to mean ones life is based upon the possibilities of what could or could not happen.

“Nature is a haunted house -but Art- is a house that tries to be haunted.”
~ This quote means that nature is the actual thing. Art simply attempts to mimic nature therefore making it “trying” to be haunted.

“Parting is all we know of Heaven
and all we need of Hell.”
~ All we know that is when we die we want to go to Heaven. Also that we do not want to go to Hell. Therefore dying is all that we need to know of Hell.

“I have been bent and broken, but -I hope- into a better shape.”
~ This quote means basically to learn from your mistakes. Being bent and broken hurts but it can also mold you into a better person.

“in this short life that only last ah hour how much-how little-is within our power.”
~ I took this quote to mean that life is short. It in a way questions what impact we can possibly make before our time here is up.

“Whenever a thing is done for the first time, it releases a little demon.”
~ Whether good or bad experiencing something new opens the door to do it repeatedly.

“To shut your eyes is to travel.”
~ Ones imagination can take them miles. So I believe Dickinson was saying that your imagination, in a way, takes you on an adventure.

“open me carefully”
~ Getting to know someone takes time. Some people tend to be more sensitive than other and if Dickinson or anyone else is hurt than opening up to someone is much more difficult.

“Till I love I never like enough.”
~ Liking someone is simple but with love comes much more. Maybe Dickinson felt that love was just a deeper like so until she loved, she had never liked enough.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Have a Dream

Martin Luther King's carefully crafted speech using pathos, repetition, and metaphors emphasizes his deeply rooted love and dedication to unalienable human rights. A rhetoric device commonly used by King in is 'I Have a Dream' speech was repetition. His use of repetition assist him in generating his points. An example of this would be his constant use of "One hundred years later." King uses this to stress to the listener's how long of a stretch that it has been and the right thing still has yet to be done. This helps the listener to understand where King is coming from and relate to it.

Two Kinds

1.) Parents do pressure their children to achieve. I believe that this is so because the parents know the potential of their children and want the to be successful. 2. ) Children and their parents disagree upon things such as curfew, chores, relationships, and money. 3.) Personally, I believe that people can be anything that they want to be as long as they work hard enough to to achieve their dreams. 4.) I do not believe that all conflicts have a winner. If two people are arguing there are two sides of the argument, which could turn out any way. If the result of the argument is something that neither of the two people wanted then no one won the argument. 5.)The relationship I have with my parents differs greatly from the relationship that Chinese children have with their parents. My mother and father do expect nothing but the best from me, but they do not force me to do anything that I do not want to do.

"Responsibly Wild"

3 Interesting Things: •The PCT was built to welcome people. •The PCT being difficult and isolated keeps people away. •Trails are built to provide access to important places. 2 Facts: •The PCT is designated as one of our country's 11 National Scenic Trails. •Majority of people who hike the trail tend to fall ill. 1 Question: •What is the fee, if there is one, for the safety classes offered by PCTA? Are there any requirements? Summary: "Responsibly Wild" informs the reader about the risks of hiking and how to take care of the trail. Jack Haskel introduced ways such as watching videos or taking classes to better understand what you will be dealing with while on the trail. He discusses keeping the trail clean. Haskel believes that visitors should keep the trail clean for the millions of people that come in preceding. He believes that it is fair for everyone to be able to enjoy the same beautiful endeavors. You can view this article by clicking the link below